Crave no more. Pepper.ph shared their calamansi muffin recipe hack! I’ve tried it and I think it was great. I can’t say if the taste is close to the calamansi muffins from Boracay but my friends and I sure loved it! I’m sharing this recipe with you with some of the changes I made to it.
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 pieces eggs, medium size
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup evaporated milk
¼ cup calamansi juice, around 10 pieces
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine calamansi juice and evaporated milk, set aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes
5. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well in between.
6. Add the flour and calamansi-milk mixtures until well blended. Make sure not to over mix.
7. Scoop mixture on a 12-cup non-stick muffin pan.
8. Bake for 18-23 minutes.
9. Slightly cool muffins on a wire rack.
10. Remove from pan and serve!
I was able to make more than 12 muffins with this recipe. Probably because I didn't fill the muffin pan to the brim. Mine was also slightly popped on top just like how corn muffins from Kenny Rogers looks like. Pepper.ph's version was deliciously browned along the sides with a smooth muffin top that resembles Lemon Square Cheese Cupcakes.
Overall, the calamansi muffin I made has a very homey feel. I also used home-grown calamansi from our backyard.
Paul and I will be in Boracay in a few months and I will definitely look for Real Coffee & Tea Cafe to try their Calamansi Muffins!