It’s been a while since I last spent time baking. Well, work has really kept my hands full and I have devoted most of my free time to my family, friends and Paul, doing regular house chores (laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.), and of course spending time with my ever-demanding Alfie. I can’t remember what got me in the mood to bake again, but I sure did miss it. This time I’m making Chocolate Revel Bars.
One of my friends from my previous work started selling Chocolate Revel Bars baked by her twin sister last year. I loved it so much and I was inspired to make it myself but not to start selling them. I’m a sucker for DIYs and it has been a part of my frugal lifestyle. If I can make it, I don’t have to buy it!
I originally followed food.com’s recipe for my revel bars when I first tried it. I just made some adjustments this time to make my own version. I still loved it and my family and friends loved it too! So, let me share with you my Chocolate Revel Bars recipe below.
2 cups instant (no-cook) oatmeal
1 cup whole oats
2 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup muscovado sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ - 2 cups of chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate petals)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven at 350°F (176°C).
- In a large bowl, instant oatmeal, whole oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and muscovado sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until even.
- Line a 10 x 12 pan with a baking sheet.
- Place about 2/3 of the oat mixture on the pan. This will be the base.
- Melt chocolate petals/chips using a double boiler.
- Add butter and condensed milk.
- Remove from pan then add vanilla.
- Pour melted chocolate over the oat mixture.
- Place uneven spots/dots of oat mixture over the melted chocolate.
- Bake at 350°F (176°C) for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut in squares and serve!
I gave some of these nice little sweets to my office mates and they said it was good. These delectable treat has always been a success. I can say that my Chocolate Revel Bars made a lot of people happy. And it makes me happy if they are happy!
Let’s all spread some good vibes and bake on!